Monday, October 17, 2005

how words need to be chosen wisely

while on my run in the park on saturday, i passed by a tented area which was a fundraiser for the "intimate partner violence awareness" group.

intimate partner violence awareness.

that's a strange coupling of words, huh? i had to think about them, put them together and then understand what it meant. okay, that took me all of three or four seconds, but it's not an obvious read at all.

and especially for such a good cause, that's not a good thing. seems like a catch-all to me.

in my mind, what would have worked better was "don't smack your bitch up weekend".

2 comments:

Single, Party of One said...

It's sick and wrong that I just laughed out loud at the words (not the unfortunate truth) "intimate partner violence awareness" but I couldn't help it.

I haven't laughed that hard since this morning on the bus when a woman asked the MAN next to her if he had problems with his uterus spreading. And she appeared to be serious. Good lord.

Anonymous said...

I guess they wanted to make sure they included the one-nighters too. And the special friends, drunk dial bootie calls and rebounders. 'Domestic violence' is so 1994.