cbs just announced that a miniseries called "category 7: the end of the world" will be premiering on november 6.
are they friggin kidding?
i just counted. it's only been 69 days from when katrina hit new orleans.
i think it might be a touch too early to capitalize on it and to make money on it. then again, i might not be the best person to comment on this, considering that i have both a heart and a soul.
now, i know it's not exactly about katrina (but i'm sure michael bay's team is working on that script right now) and i know that they started filming before the tragedy, but that doesn't give them any reason to actually air it - especially just 69 days after something so devastating in this country. i would say that it comes across as tasteless, but we're talking about television networks, so that word wouldn't really bother them.
look, i'm not claiming that i know exactly how long it should be. i just don't believe now is the right time. it reeks of capitalizing.
you do know this conversation was discussed by cbs executives.
- "well, to bring up the 'category 7' discussion, well, you do know it's only been 69 days since..."
- "yes, but i've done some research, and 65 days has been decided to be the optimal length of recovery time for viewers. we are waiting 69 days. that's four more days of healing."
- "i see, yes, and 65 days, where did that number come from?'
- "we had a focus group in utah and that's what they came up with. 65 days. it's our corporate standard. utahans don't lie. they loved 'everybody loves raymond'."
- "didn't everybody love 'everbody loves raymond'?"
- "the utahans did first. therefore, the corporate standard. 65 days. 65."
- "i see, yes, cbs' corporate standard, yes."
- "we are doing four more than the corporate standard. we go the extra mile."
- "i see, yes, but why not wait an extra couple of weeks, you know, to be just that sure."
- "i don't want to disrupt any CSI programming. now that would be a tragedy."
corporate laughter follows.
- "what about hurricane wilma?"
- "i didn't hear you."
- "i said, what about hurr..."
- "i said, i didn't hear you."
more corporate laughter.