Wednesday, October 19, 2005

how to have a heart to heart, writer to writer

transcript of my meeting "the sports guy" bill simmons, author and rabid red sox fan, at his book signing in san francisco:

STEVE: "hey bill, nice to meet you".

BILL: "nice to meet you, too".

steve hands bill two books for him to sign. bill opens up one of them. he prepares to write, but steve's voice stops him.

STEVE: "it would really mean a lot to me and my brother if you just wrote 'page 168. number 13'. thanks."

BILL: "why? was is it?"

STEVE: "you don't want to know."

bill begins flipping through the book towards page 168.

BILL: "i need to know. i'm a writer. i need to know what i'm writing."

STEVE: "i'm also a writer, and trust me, you don't need to know."

bill reaches page 168 and reads #13 out loud.

BILL: (clearing his throat) "three pitches later: mookie slaps a grounder to first base...it rolls between buckner's legs and into rightfield...knight scores from second. mets 6, red sox 5. there are no words."

bill closes the book and looks at me.

BILL: "mets fan, huh?"

STEVE: "long suffering."

BILL: "i know how you feel."

bill scribbles something in the book and shows it to me. it reads "dear steve. there are no words. bill simmons."

steve nods his head in agreement.

STEVE: "could you do that for my brother too?"

No comments: