Sunday, October 16, 2005

how i'm no longer giving the benefit of the doubt

i would always argue with my clients over not talking down to their audiences, that they're not stupid, that by talking to everyone you're talking to no one, and that audiences appreciate it more when you challenge them. that's what made "seinfeld" brilliant.

but movie companies and marketers still continue to treat people like idiots (then again, this country did re-elect bush). but, to be fair, it's incredibly insulting (like in big-budget summer blockbusters when movie companies put a "love story" in for "the women"), especially when they try to put demographics of people into neat little boxes.

but i don't believe in the practice of fitting everyone into a stereotype. in reality, it fits nobody.

but, you know what? i'm thinking about changing my stance on all this.

as i sat in the theater waiting for "the forty-year-old virgin", they played this trailer for this movie that's a blatant "brady bunch" ripoff - except not as clever. the crowd was rollicking, as if it were a farrelly brothers movie. i mean completely laughing hysterically, as if this were an amazing idea and that these jokes and gags were brand spanking new. i thought someone's head and guts were gonna explode.

did i mention that the crowd was full of adults?

so maybe i'm wrong about all this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just watched that trailer, and I am disturbed. I mean, we live in San Francisco, which I believe to be a fairly forward-thinking, sophisticated subset of the national population. If an entire theatre of people, which is a good sample of folks, were cackling at that garbage, I fear for my well being as a consumer. I love your blog - it helps me to look like I'm concentrating on, getting passionate about, and typing feverishly in response to the work I am getting paid to do at the moment...which is not being done. But thank God you know my stance on "Yours Mine & Ours"!