Saturday, November 04, 2006

how i've found the most amazing dryer ever

i go to the laundromat across the street from my apartment, the one right next to the laundromat (i'm not making that up). anyways, i've sorta bonded with two specific washers and one specific dryer. i know them, they know me. i trust that they will clean my clothes and, an hour later, i'll come by and pick up some dry clothes.

i know these are just machines, but this is how i live my life.

anyways, my dryer was broken today. so i had to use another one.

and it was the most magical dryer ever.

i came back to the laundromat to pick up my clothes. i reached it and my clothes were scalding hot. like magma hot. as i reached into the dryer for more of my clothes, i realized that some of them were a little moist. that's okay. happens.

i lugged them back to my apartment, and as i began to sort them out, i realized that some of them could not be any hotter, and a large number of my clothes were drenched. soaked. as if i just took them out of the washer and brought them home. i could have wrung them.

as if they were completely ignored.

and yet, some were so hot that i swore it might have been on fire at some point.

it makes no sense. how could some be so hot and others so wet? they're in the same place. that doesn't make sense. it's all in a bundle, right? they all tumble together, right?

then i figured it out, and it completely blew my mind.

the dryer i used, my substitute dryer, only dries one item at a time. which means that it dried half my clothes and it didn't get to the rest of them.

that's the only reasonable expectation, despite how unreasonable that might sound. how does a dryer do that i ask? how do it only dry one item at a time? that's silly, steve, besides your hot and drenched evidence.

it's a magical dryer.

trust me on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe it doesn't tumble 4 ya.